Saturday, April 3, 2010

A Small Nugget of Leftover Pancetta

There was only one thing on my mind: Linguine with Clams.

Every now and then I get a nearly out of control hankering for something or other. Of late, Linguine with Clams was my obsession. For days, I had a taste for it, and when I realized that I had a nugget of pancetta sitting, waiting... well.

Happily, this recipe is stupidly easy and calls for minimal ingredients, so when I also had linguine, some leftover white wine, onion, chili flakes and garlic on hand, and all I had to do was buy the clams, I knew I was in business.


1. Diced pancetta into a pan. Fry a little.
2. Diced onion and garlic into the same pan. Fry a little. Meanwhile, get your pasta cooking.
3. Splash of white wine and knob of butter into that pan, followed by clams.
4. High high heat, let all that yum-yum cook around for a bit.
5. Clams seem to take about 5-6 minutes to open up fully; at this point, pasta should be nicely al dente. Dump out most--but not all!--of the pasta water, then toss the pasta and some of that great starchy water into the main-man pan, add some chili flakes, toss the whole thing around, et voila.
6. Serve with Pepiere Granite de Clisson muscadet. Holy S-H-ers. Ummmmmmmmm, this was one of the best wine pairings ever.

Pepiere is seriously amazing with muscadet, and Granite de Clisson has been called a "Grand Cru" site for muscadet (they don't really have grand crus in this part of the Loire). Flinty minerals and clover honey and juicy melon with this tart high-acid thing going on, oh wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment