Thursday, February 25, 2010

You Can't Go Wrong with Loads of Cheese

2/17/10
The Creation:
Fast Eggplant Parmesan

What's in the fridge?
eggplant
mushrooms
fresh Mozzarella
1 slice guanciale
small hunk of Stilton
1/2 white onion
1/3 red onion
1/2 lemon
1/2 lime
Sugo (Mama's homemade, pork-based tomato sauce)
chicken stock
rabbit stock
frozen peas

Key Ingredients Consumed:
eggplant
fresh Mozzarella
Sugo

The Creative Process:
This was purely a result of having to get rid of that eggplant. Conveniently, I had all of the other ingredients on hand (since I pretty much *always* have Asiago or Parmesan as well as dry pasta. Since my dear friend Sarah locked herself out of her apartment, I made this quickly and improvisationally (word?) to soothe her: Quickly fry salted eggplant slices in olive oil (high heat!); drain and line on baking sheet. Top with fresh mozzarella and Parmesan; smother with sugo or tomato sauce and bake for a bit until it's all bubbly and browning on the top. Serve over pasta.

The Verdict: 
It's really hard to go wrong with fried eggplant and loads of cheese. I like the full-process version better, but this was pure delight in a pinch. I also drank it with a bottle of La Sibilla Piedirosso from Campania, Italy--$11 at Crush and a good cheapie to get me through the night and packing for Key West!


1 comment:

  1. this was the best things that happened to me that night.

    ReplyDelete