Saturday, February 27, 2010

Why Not Lamb?

The question was posed so casually that I couldn't say no...

2/26/10
The creation:
Pan-seared lamb shoulder with duck-fat-fried potato and cauliflower 

What's in the fridge?
1/3 red onion
1/2 lime
wild rice
rabbit stock
frozen peas

Key ingredients consumed:
red onion
Hmm, since there was pretty much nothing in there to begin with...

Ingredients purchased:
lamb shoulder 
potatoes
cauliflower

The creative process: 
Our wine buyer at Crush is a quiet man. A dear, sweet, hilarious and endearing, quiet man who, I learned today, is also a very, very serious foodie. When I offhandedly asked him, "What should I have for dinner tonight?" and he nonchalantly replied, after a moment's consideration, "Why not lamb shoulder with potato gratin and anchovy-mint sauce?" I looked at him, my mouth agape, and realized he was very serious. I couldn't say "No" to him. Especially not after he told me I ought to pair the lamb with the Clos de Gamot Cahors: "I once had lamb shoulder with the Clos de Gamot, and it reminded me of all the reasons why life is worth living," he (still casually) commented.

Like an addict to the street corner, I shoved that malbec in my bag and made my way to The Meat Hook as fast as possible to ask for the best deal on baby sheep. $9.99 a pound for this pretty little--actually big 'n thick!--chop-looking-like nugglet of lamb shoulder.

Thinly-sliced potatoes, red onion and cauliflower florets got a good pan-fry while I took to the lamb. Salt and pepper, medium-high heat, three minutes a side, and those fat pheromonic hunks of tender, gamey, delectable lamb were enough to make me cast duck breasts to the curb...

The verdict:
I have found a new favorite animal to consume. Sure, I've had loads of lamb before, but the unadulterated simplicity and quality of these suckers shut down past experiences. Oh, and that Cahors really did give me some insight into why life is worth living. Angular, masculine, defined and pulsing with wet earth/rocks/ripe red fruits, it paired just terribly well with the seductive bits of lamb I sucked off the shoulder bone. There may have been audible moans of pleasure...

1 comment: