Thursday, February 25, 2010

Semi-Sad Soup

Today I call attention to the fact that I don't do everything incredibly well. Like, I don't make Get-Well Soup as well as Sarah does. I'd like to say that every cooking story of mine is a success, but sometimes innovation does not equal incredible. Tonight was one of those nights. Sarah: Please give me the recipe for your amazing Get-Well Soup!

2/25/10
The creation:
Winter greens soup with ginger
What's in the fridge?
Leftover chicken
1 slice guanciale Nevermind; ate that last night while preparing chicken)
small hunk of Stilton Nevermind; ate that earlier tonight)
ginger (this appeared while I was on vacation??)
1/3 red onion
1/2 lime
wild rice (Frozen. I had forgotten about this!)
chicken stock
rabbit stock
frozen peas
Key ingredients consumed:
chicken
ginger
wild rice
chicken stock

Ingredients purchased:
1 sweet potato
2 bunches fresh spinach
1 bunch fresh broccoli rabe

The creative process:
Sarah made Get-Well Soup for me a few weeks back. I have been craving it ever since. Stock plus ginger gave me the idea, but I figured "Why not throw in some extra goodies I have on hand!" I added some wild rice, convinced that the texture would be a complement to the soup. I added a bit of chicken, sure that some protein couldn't hurt. Basically, I chopped up some sweet potato and ginger and covered it with water and stock and brought it to a boil before tossing in loads (I mean loads) of chopped spinach and rabe. 

We should also discuss at some point my apparent inability to properly clean that much fresh spinach. Gritty soup is not remotely appealing. Sigh. If only I had a Salad Spinner! Or the patience to properly clean 2 pounds of spinach. Anyway.

After the greens were in, I dumped in more stock, the rice, and some chicken. Heated it through, S&P to taste, et voila! Oui??

The Verdict:
... Non. This soup was not very appealing. Underwhelming in terms of flavor; aforementioned grit factor; texture not all that thrilling; too little ginger and salt. And now I have a fat pot of it to get through during my next few days' lunches.

No comments:

Post a Comment