Tuesday, February 16, 2010

How I Cook and Eat:
1) I have a healthy obsession with food--in the Michael Pollan sense: REAL FOOD. Not "food product" or chemicals or corn syrup. And I shell out to feed this obsession. Local/sustainable/organic/what-have-you costs money... as it should; and I prioritize this.

2) At the same time, I'm ruthlessly frugal. I save eighths of onions, slivers of avocado, single slices of guanciale, and single teaspoons of duck fat (all things that have truthfully existed in my refrigerator in the last three days).

3) I spend most of my day thinking about what is in my fridge and cupboards and dreaming up delicious dinners I can make with leftovers. I take special pride in a well-concocted leftover creation! Having to throw out food makes me anxious. I won't lie: Occasionally, I save money (and trips to the market) by taking risks and eating things Martha says I should have thrown out last week. I have yet to get sick.

4) I admit that I am not in any way about low-fat, low-carb, low-sugar anything--as a regular runner/swimmer/walker/yoga-practicer, I have relatively little concern about caloric intake and simply try to eat from all of the food groups and in moderation. I strongly believe that eating REAL FOOD from responsible sources is the most essential part of a healthy diet.

5) I balk at recipes. Cooking is therapeutic and creative for me--recipes give me a good place to start, but following them step by step is something I never do. Therefore, you won't see recipes here. To learn "how to cook" you have to have a sense of adventure and willingness to sometimes eat your failures. I think this is good for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment