Saturday, August 7, 2010

Best Bread in NYC


I've been looking for it for a long time. Squishing the loaves when I see them, surveying their girth and their crust bubbles and their pull and chew... looking for the best bread in New York City.

Contrary to what one might think, the best bread has never been at the farmer's market, where I find most loaves to be dry and lacking chewiness, always a bit too dense and a bit too stale and grainy.

But I'd been eying Not Just Rugelach's olive bread for weeks. All visible criteria met. The squish test wasn't able to be carried out though, due to their not wanting alien hands molesting their loaves. Mama always told me never to buy bread without squishing it first. Finally, on the fourth week, after I did my little stare-down, bread ogling routine and asked, again, "How much for the olive loaf?" ($4), I finally went for it. Just plunged in and took a risk.

Well, well, well worth it.


See that gigantic hole I bit into the side? I couldn't get to the olives fast enough, so I had to go for the jugular and angle in through it's rib cage, sucking out its delicious, salty guts. Texture spot-on. Flavor just right. Olives inside nearly excessive and so, so tasty. So there it is: the best bread in NYC.

1 comment: