Saturday, March 20, 2010

To Commence the Craziness

Last week was one of the most hectic I've handled since college. I am not used to working so much, and while I am thrilled with my new work responsibilities (writing about wine!), I also had way too much on my plate (figuratively, unfortunately) last week. Dinners every night, 13 hours of work a day, plus a new iPhone whose address book was left blank by the competent people at Best Buy. On Monday, my birthday, I lost four voicemails during the transition from BlackBerry to iPhone, and all of my texts came from random numbers. Three trips back to Best Buy later, I still had an empty address book and succumbed to a manual transfer of phone numbers on my train trips to and from work. Growl sounds!

Still, I did eat quite well on a few occasions. Witness the above, a lovely, lovely little dinner with the lovely, lovely Georgia.  

For this dinner, I took advantage of leftover eggrolls, mushrooms and rice noodles from last weekend's dinner party plus some celery I had hanging around. I bought a Thai chile, a bunch of fresh snow peas, scallions, and Jerusalem artichokes to stir-fry. At the end, I tossed in some slivered almonds I had on hand and a bit of soy sauce. Out of the freezer came some long-lost lobster stock (from New Year's Eve lobster boiling misadventure), which got thickened with a corn-starch slurry to juice-up the noodles.  The results were really gorgeous! And I only had to buy four new ingredients. Hoo-ah!

No comments:

Post a Comment