Monday, March 22, 2010

Steak Take Two

The Creation: 
Steak sandwich with caramelized onions and sauteed mushrooms, served alongside spicy greens and shoestring fries with the delectable, one and only Manhattan Special Espresso Coffee Soda

The sirloin was, obviously, too good to let a morsel go to waste, so I used my handy, aforementioned Lil Beni to ultra-thinly slice the steak onto a toasted baguette graced with (also Beni-fied) onions that I slowly caramelized and some buttery mushrooms.

I also had quite a bit of writing to do after dinner, so as good as a fatty beer would have been with this, I opted instead for pure caffeine in the form of a Manhattan Special. Mm, mmm, yessir.

And! I gave the mustard seed oil my first go-around! Wowwee. That business is *spicy* like, I don't know... like some serious mustard seeds were in there or something. Gee whiz. Serious mustard. Which gave the greens a pungent kick that would be really nice if you really loved spicy mustard. I, however, do not. So with each healthy bite I tried to cover the flavor with a bigger bite of marrow-butter-juiced steak sandwich. Good thing that steak was so, so, so good.


My next new ingredient on the agenda: the harissa. I bought some green chorizo (literally green-colored due to the abundance of cilantro, parsley and jalapeno in it!) after my Sourdough Bread-Making Class at The Brooklyn Kitchen tonight, and I plan to serve the pan-sauteed chorizo with the harissa! Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment