Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Springtime, Visits, Teeth and Pressies

These are the things I've been up to in the last month that have kept me away from the computer and, to a large extent, the stove. Here's the photo montage...


Miss Bray came to town, and we took advantage of the verdant bounty at the Ferry Building Farmer's Market--asparagus, peas, favas, potes, spring onions, watercress... all whipped into a rabbit stew dazzled up with a handful of fresh tarragon!


For dessert, we broke out Miss Kiwi's quadruplet baby ramekins for cherry clafoutis. Non-pitted cherries are definitely superior, flavor-wise and effort-wise, to pitted. I wish I could say that these stayed as airy and fluffy even after being out of the oven for 20 minutes, but... well... they were prettiest as pictured. 


Then I got my wisdom teeth out. All four at once. Go for the kill, right? One of my first meals "back" (pseudo-back) was homemade corn chowder with the first Cali corn of the season--how they can have fresh corn in late May is beyond me, but there it is. I had also been practically protein-free for a week and a half, so I loaded this up with bacon. All pureed, this was delectable and made my mouth feel better.


As a present to myself for getting through the tooth extraction, I took myself on a shopping spree to Sur La Table with the $500 gift card I won for my Pesto Pasta recipe on Saveur.com. I made out. Here's all the luxe loot I came home with. Favorites include the set of Schott crystal glassware, the small scanpan that makes the best fritatta ever, and the set of Sur La Table saucepans.

No comments:

Post a Comment